Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Garish

This watercolor is so garish...but I kind of like it because it captures the muggy, unpleasant atmosphere of the day I completed it. I wasn't going to post it, but...

I did the piece over two recent lunch hours. The drawing was delicate after the first session, though I may have set the tonal key too dark when I added the wash for the left-hand tree as a concluding thought. When I got back to it after more than a week (wet weather was the delay), I was grappling for the initial hook but plowed forth without it. I was time-frustrated. And then it got out of hand.... But like I said, it actually is an honest portrayal of the feel of the scene...despite the uncouth lines and over-the-top chroma.

20th St. & NH Ave., NW (5/28, 6/9/15)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment